A heart attack , also called ” sudden death ” , is associated with knowledge loss, stop breathing . The heart rhythm is disturbed. To get the heart going again , and thus save a human life it is essential to act as quickly as possible , since the first minutes of the incident are important .
Understanding how the heart is functioning
If the heart is functioning properly pulls the heart muscle regularly together to the blood , poor in pumping out oxygen and to provide it with blood , rich in oxygen ; thus the whole body is supplied with oxygenated blood.
Why does the heart stop ?
If the electrical circuit of the upsets , there is a ventricular fibrillation. There is no heart beat and so the body can no longer provide blood supply.
How can one recognize a cardiac arrest ?
- Loss of consciousness
- The pulse stops
- Little or no breathing
After 3 minutes, severe damage to the brains could rise as there is no oxygen gets through .
Restart the heart
You have to act very quickly, and within 8 minutes :
- call 112 (or Local emergency number)
- administering a cardiac massage
- Using an automated external defibrillator.
If you witness a cardiac arrest, immediately notify the emergency services : this is a first step !
The operator will send the emergency as soon as possible to the location of the occurrence :
they will ask for more details
- The condition of the victim and the circumstances of the accident ,
- Or worry or checks are already carried out on the victim,
- The right place where you are ( address , floor , door code etc …)
Do not close off the connection first. The operator will indicate at what point you may enter the telephone connection.
The faster compressions are performed , the greater the chances of survival are !
Indeed, the chest compressions is a manual activation of the heart pump system for the irrigation of the organism. It can slow down the decline of vital functions and prevent lesions in the brains .
Here’s the technique :
You need to massage the heart of the victim ‘s blood by circulating the body :
- lay the victim on a hard surface,
- place you on your knees , beside the victim,
- you position both hands together in the middle of the chest , between the breasts , arms outstretched,
- push with all your weight on the chest : it’s not your hands or your arms but your whole weight down,
- do this compression 100 to 120 times per minute, per sequence of 30 consecutive prints. You should always press hard , to press the chest for 5 to 6 cm. Be sure to let it loose between each compression . To be carried out until the arrival of the emergency services,
- even if you have the impression that you are not doing well : do not give up , continue to do! … Better than no CPR compressions inaccurate !
In Europe, is authorized to any person , not even a doctor to use an external defibrillator. More and more defibrillators are available in public places.
How to use?
- Open the cover from the defibrillator , then remove and turn it into an electronic voice gives you the instructions to follow. It first explains how you should place the electrodes on the skin of the patient; one under the left armpit , the other on the chest on the right.
- The device allows self diagnosis and gives a choc if needed: no risk of incorrect operation !
- Remove yourself from the body of the victim while the defibrillator delivers electric current. The defibrillator will then check that the heart comes back on stream and will provide the necessary instruction .
There also exist semi-automatic defibrillators : the device will tell you to press a button to turn the surge started.
Is there no external defibrillator available then you do massage until the arrival of the emergency services.